This delightful dish showcases a fantastic Crispy Baked Hot Honey Chicken. It offers a delectable experience with its extra crispy, oven-fried chicken, complemented by a luxurious drizzle of homemade hot honey sauce that perfectly balances sweetness and spiciness. Prepare to be pleasantly surprised as this recipe brings an exciting twist to traditional chicken tenders that you’ll find irresistibly mouthwatering!
What Is Hot Honey Chicken?
This recipe showcases a delicious way to prepare spicy honey chicken using either the oven or an air fryer. The dish features strips of boneless chicken breasts or tender chicken tenders that are perfectly cooked to a golden brown, offering a crispy texture. The final touch includes drizzling or tossing the chicken with a sweet yet tang
Hot honey is available for purchase at the grocery store. However, creating your own hot honey grants you complete control over the spiciness of the sauce. Moreover, homemade hot honey is simple to create and much more cost-effective than ready-made alternatives. If you’re already a fan of crispy chicken (think chicken fingers!), this recipe might capture your heart.
Why You’ll Love Hot Honey Chicken
- The chicken fingers are highly customizable. They can be prepared using boneless chicken breast, cut into strips, as well as with chicken tenders and even with chicken thighs.
- Mild, Medium, or Hot? You can adjust the heat of the hot honey sauce by either increasing or decreasing the spices. For an extra kick, consider adding some cayenne pepper!
- Extra Crispy: These tender chicken pieces become irresistibly crispy by carefully applying a double coating of egg wash and cornflake mixture.
Ingredients for making Crispy Hot Chicken:
- Chicken: You have a few options for the chicken – boneless and skinless chicken breast or chicken tenders work well. Another good choice is boneless chicken thighs without skin. If you prefer convenience, pre-cut chicken strips are available, but they may cost more per pound.
- Cornflakes: The key to achieving the desired crispy, golden, and crunchy texture in the hot chicken recipe. Cornflakes provide a perfect crunch and add a subtle sweetness to the coating.
- Paprika: This vibrant spice enhances the breading with a touch of sweet smokiness. For an even more intense smoky flavor, try using smoked paprika.
- Garlic Powder: Balances the flavors in the breading with a garlicky taste. For additional depth, you can also consider adding onion powder for an oniony flavor.
- Grated Parmesan cheese: Adds a salty nuttiness to the coating, enhancing the overall taste.
- Italian seasoning: A blend of aromatic herbs and spices that contribute to the complexity of flavors in the dish.
- Eggs: Used to create an egg wash that helps the coating adhere to the chicken. It’s recommended to use large eggs for this purpose.
- Butter: Melted butter serves a dual purpose – it prevents the chicken from sticking to the sheet pan and contributes to the crispy and golden appearance.
- Oil: A quick spritz of cooking spray or a neutral-flavored oil (such as olive oil or avocado oil) prevents sticking and ensures an evenly crispy coating.
- Hot honey: This drizzled sauce elevates the chicken strips with its sweet and spicy flavor. If you prefer not to make your own hot honey, store-bought options like Mike’s hot honey can be used as well.
How To Make Hot Honey Chicken
Here’s a simplified version of the instructions for making easy hot honey chicken. For all the specific details, refer to the printable recipe card below:
- To prepare the egg wash, place the eggs, water, salt, and pepper into a medium-sized bowl. Beat them together until well-combined.
- To prepare the chicken, begin by dipping a piece into the egg mixture. Next, cover it with the crumb mixture before gently placing it on the baking sheet that has been prepared in advance. Ensure to arrange the coated chicken pieces in a single layer.
- The chicken should be baked until it turns crispy and achieves a delightful light golden brown color. To ensure the chicken is cooked to perfection, it is recommended to use a meat thermometer and check that the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After taking out the baked chicken tenders from the oven, they should be transferred to a serving dish. Then, proceed to gently drizzle the hot honey over the delicious chicken.
Air Fryer Instructions :
- The coated chicken should be placed in the prepared air fryer basket of the preheated air fryer. Ensure that they are arranged in a single layer with sufficient space between each piece.
- In cooking the chicken, it is advisable to evenly spray it with cooking spray. The chicken should then be cooked for the recommended duration, ensuring to flip
- If you need to make the fried chicken in batches, you can transfer the finished pieces of chicken onto a wire rack placed on a pan in an oven set at low heat. This will help keep them warm until serving.
Tips for the Best Hot Honey Chicken
Chicken breasts typically yield 3-4 strips each. It’s important to consider this when determining the quantity needed for your recipe.
If you prefer using an air fryer, simply switch out the melted butter with cooking spray or a neutral-flavored oil in this recipe. This substitution will still give your dish a crispy texture without relying on butter.
Double Dredging for Extra Crispiness: The chicken achieves maximum crispiness through the double dredging process. To achieve this, follow these steps: First, dip the chicken in the egg mixture. Next, coat it with the crumb mixture for a second time. This ensures an extra crispy and flavorful result.
For those who prefer chicken nuggets over strips, there is a variation to consider. Simply cut the chicken into smaller, bite-size pieces before following the coating and baking process.
By following these tips, one can achieve the perfect hot honey chicken that boasts an ideal combination of crispiness and flavor. Indulge in the satisfaction of a delightful meal!
Try These Chicken Dishes Next!
Crispy Baked Hot Honey Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts about 3-4 breasts cut into strips.
- 6 cups cornflakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Oil spray
- Hot honey for serving about 1/3 cup
- Chopped parsley or chives for serving optional
- In a food processor, place the cornflakes, paprika, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning and pulse until you have fine crumbs. Place the crumbs into a wide shallow plate (a pie plate is ideal) and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs with the water, salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place parchment paper on a rimmed sheet pan. Melt the butter and drizzle it or brush it onto the lined sheet pan to coat the parchment paper.
- Working with one chicken strip at a time, dip the chicken in the egg mixture. Allow any excess egg to drip from the chicken and then dredge in the crumb mixture pressing each strip lightly so the coating adheres to the chicken. For a thicker coating, dip the chicken into the egg and the crumbs coating for a second time before placing the chicken onto the prepared sheet pan.
- Place the chicken strips on the sheet pan in a single layer, leaving some room between each strip (about 1 inch). This will help the chicken crisp up properly. Spray the top of the chicken with oil spray.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown, crispy and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F. Cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of your chicken strips.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving dish. Pour hot honey over the chicken and serve, garnished with chopped parsley or chives.
Air Fryer Instructions :
- Preheat the air fryer to 400ºF. Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray. Place the coated chicken in the air fryer and lightly spray the chicken with cooking spray. Don’t overcrowd the basket. Cook for 8 minutes, then flip the chicken strips and lightly spray with cooking spray. Cook for an additional 7 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through.