This Seafood Mac and Cheese is ultra creamy with two types of cheese and plenty of your favorite seafood, such as lobster or shrimp, all baked together to golden brown perfection.
Having grown up in Wisconsin and then spending several years in Southern CA, both known for their rich dairy traditions, there’s no doubt in my mind that I have a deep knowledge of cheese. Trust me on this.
When it comes to mac and cheese, there is no discrimination. The Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is a quick and easy option for those craving a creamy and indulgent dish. However, for a touch of luxury and comfort, adding seafood takes it up a notch. This allows you to enjoy a rich and decadent meal that’s perfect for any occasion.
In this particular recipe, it is recommended to add a generous sprinkle of panko breadcrumbs on top of the dish. Having tried it both ways, the preference leans towards using these breadcrumbs for added flavor and texture. However, don’t fret if you don’t have them readily available, as the dish is still undeniably delicious without them.
Fresh breadcrumbs can be used as a substitute for panko, and both options yield delicious results. Additionally, a light sprinkle of breadcrumbs on the top, as shown in the photos, can enhance the dish. Feel free to choose the option that suits your taste preferences.
One can typically enjoy seafood mac and cheese as a standalone dish. However, for those seeking to create a more substantial and well-rounded meal, continue reading.
What are some delicious accompaniments for Seafood Mac and Cheese?
Consider preparing a delectable surf and turf dinner by going all-out and grilling a succulent steak or prime rib. This delightful option allows you to treat your special someone to a high-quality meal while also keeping costs in check since you won’t need to purchase as much seafood for the occasion. It’s a narrative that combines the best of both worlds, offering a tantalizing feast and saving you some money.
When it comes to finding the perfect side dishes, opt for lighter options to complement the richness of Seafood Mac and Cheese. A simple salad is always a reliable choice. You can also consider Green Beans Almondine or Roasted Tomatoes for their great flavors. Another quick and delicious side dish is simple roasted asparagus, which provides a perfect balance to the indulgent mac and cheese.
When making Macaroni and Cheese, it’s important to choose the best cheese.
When it comes to achieving the best flavor in mac and cheese, the recommended approach is to use a combination of two cheeses: Gruyère and a mild Cheddar. While it is undoubtedly delicious to make mac and cheese solely with Cheddar, I personally find that adding seafood like lobster or shrimp calls for a more indulgent touch. In such cases, I opt for the richer and pricier Gruyère cheese, blending it harmoniously with the cheddar for a truly decadent experience.
When it comes to creating a delightful combination, consider mixing cheddar with some parmesan into the breadcrumbs. Another excellent option is Fontina, a splendid melting cheese. However, feel free to choose any of your favorite meltable cheeses for this recipe!
The duration for which Seafood Mac and Cheese remains edible is a common query.
The food can be refrigerated for a duration of 3-4 days. It is always advisable to exercise caution when selecting what you consume. Additionally, it is incredibly delicious, making it unlikely that it would last beyond a day or two!
Is it possible to freeze Seafood Mac and Cheese?
The dairy-based mixture can be safely frozen, but there is a slight possibility that it may curdle. If you decide to freeze it, it is recommended to thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and then reheat it in a 300F oven for approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
Have you ever tried the delectable Seafood Chowder? It’s a must-try for all seafood enthusiasts out there!
Seafood Mac and Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter divided
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream room temperature
- 4 cups grated Gruyère cheese
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 1/2 lb cooked lobster crab, and/or shrimp, etc.
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- The oven should be preheated to a temperature of 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To prepare the baking dish, apply a layer of cooking spray or lightly coat it with butter. The chosen dish should have a capacity of 2 quarts.
- The pasta should be cooked until it reaches the al dente stage, following the instructions on the package.
- In the midst of all this, heat up a large pot over medium heat and melt 6 tablespoons of butter. Take the flour and add it to the pot, then whisk it continuously until it blends completely, which should take around 30 seconds. Now comes the time to gradually pour in the milk and cream while whisking constantly, ensuring it combines smoothly, which should take approximately one minute. Finally, reduce the heat to low.
- The shredded cheeses should be added gradually, one handful at a time, and stirred until completely combined after each addition. Once done, remove the mixture from the heat and gently incorporate the cooked pasta and lobster meat. Finally, pour the resulting mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- In order to elevate the texture and flavor of the mac and cheese, the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter should be melted and combined with the panko bread crumbs. Once mixed, generously sprinkle this delightful mixture on top of the mac and cheese.
- The seafood mac and cheese should be baked for approximately 30 minutes until it is thoroughly heated and the breadcrumbs turn a golden brown. It is best to serve the dish immediately after.