Do you consider yourself someone who enjoys hearty meat and potato dishes? If so, then this delectable ground beef casserole is tailor-made for you. Those with an insatiable craving for the succulent combination of meat, potatoes, and cheese will undoubtedly rejoice upon discovering this simple yet satisfying recipe. It requires only a handful of ingredients and can be whipped up in no time, bringing pure delight to your taste buds.
This particular casserole recipe stands out from the tomato-based ones with its creamy, gooey texture and mouthwatering meatiness. It will surely delight your taste buds.
The dish offers a quick and convenient option by combining frozen cubed potatoes, cream of celery soup, and condensed cheddar cheese soup. It’s packed with flavor and can be enjoyed as a complete meal on its own. To add a touch of freshness, I recommend serving a Tomato Cucumber Onion Salad alongside it. And for a delightful ending, the Raspberry Lemon Cheesecake Tart is a perfect choice.
How To Make Ground Beef Casserole?
The oven should be preheated to a temperature of 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
1. In a medium-sized skillet set to medium-high heat, cook the beef until it loses its pink color, usually around 3 minutes.
2. Combine the cooked ground beef, frozen cubed potatoes with onions and bell peppers, cream of cheddar soup, condensed cream of celery soup, shredded cheddar, salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Mix until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
3. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish measuring 9 x 13 inches, and sprinkle the remaining shredded cheddar on top.
4. The baking dish should be covered with foil, and then it needs to be baked for a duration of 30 minutes.
5. Remove the foil and bake for 15 minutes more or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Can I Freeze This Casserole and Bake it Later?
Indeed, you have the option to do so. The potatoes have already been frozen, which means that the timing of baking them won’t have a significant impact, whether you choose to do it immediately or at a later time. Just ensure that when you combine the cooked ground beef, it is at room temperature.
Combine all the ingredients and transfer the mixture into either a freezer bag or a baking dish. If using a baking dish, make sure to cover it with two layers of plastic wrap and a layer of foil before freezing.
To prepare the dish, it is recommended to thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Prior to baking, remove it from the fridge and let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes. Finally, follow the instructions provided above for baking.
Variations and Substitutions
- In your pantry, feel free to substitute the cream of celery soup with cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, or any other cream soup of your choice.
- If frozen veggies are to your liking, feel free to add more of them. You can choose from a variety of options like frozen carrots, peas, or corn. Feel free to use your favorite vegetables in this case.
- The cheddar cheese can be substituted with any shredded cheese that you prefer.
- For a meal with fewer calories, opt for ground chicken or turkey instead.
- To make a tomato-based casserole instead of a cream-based one, simply replace the cream soups with two 15 oz cans of tomato sauce. In addition, include 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, along with the cheddar. Don’t forget to adjust the seasoning by adding a bit more salt and pepper if needed.
Ground Beef Casserole Recipe
- 1 lb lean ground beef I use 93% lean
- 1- 10.5 oz condensed cream of celery soup
- 1- 10.5 oz cream of cheddar cheese soup
- 1- 28 oz bag frozen cubed potatoes with onion and bell peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- The oven should be preheated to a temperature of 350 F. Proceed to brown the ground beef in a skillet of medium size until it is fully cooked, and there is no pink color remaining.
- In a generously sized bowl, combine the ground beef that has been cooked thoroughly, along with the frozen cubes of potatoes mixed with onion and bell peppers. Blend in the condensed cream of celery soup, as well as the cream of cheddar soup, and a cup of shredded cheddar cheese for an extra burst of flavor. Season with salt and pepper to your liking.
- The mixture should be carefully placed into a rectangular casserole dish measuring 9 by 13 inches.
- Evenly distribute the remaining cup of cheddar on top. Afterwards, cover the dish with foil and bake it for 30 minutes. Once the time is up, remove the foil and continue cooking for an additional 15 minutes until the cheese has melted completely.